Even small appliances require attention before use

    Print

Small appliances make our jobs in the kitchen much easier than they were years ago, but these same appliances can be a hazard in the kitchen if they aren't cared for and used properly.

With summertime approaching, when quick meals are a popular choice, make sure your small appliances are in good shape for use.

• Always read the manufacturer's directions before using an electrical appliance for the first time.

• Always check appliance cords before using. If they are broken, frayed or damaged in any way, do not use them. Damaged cords can cause fires.

• If the cord can be detached, always unplug the cord from the wall before removing it from the appliance. Cords should have a UL (Underwriters Laboratories) label on them.

• Keep small appliances away from water! This sounds obvious, but do pay attention. Do not even try to use an appliance while your hands are wet.

• Be sure to keep all cords and outlets dry.

• Remember that electrical appliances are "live" when plugged in, even when the switch is off. If an applianc falls into water, you could be electrocuted if you touch it.

• Do not plug an appliance into the same outlet as several other electrical appliances.

• Do not use an appliance if it has food or grease build-up.

• When finished using an appliance, never wrap the power cord around an appliance too tightly, nor around a hot appliance.

Toasters: Never reach into a toaster with a knife, fork or anything else while it is plugged in. If a bagel or piece of toast gets stuck in a toaster, unplug the toaster first before trying to get the piece out.

Microwaves: When cooking covered foods, make sure a small section is vented or uncovered so steam doesn't build up and burn you when you take the food out of the microwave. Don't use metal in a microwave; this can cause a fire to start.

Clothes dryers: Make sure the lint screen or filter is cleaned each time you use the dryer. Clean behind your dryer where lint can build up. Keep the area around a dryer free of clutter.

While keeping a small appliance plugged in isn't necessarily a safety issue, unplugging them will help conserve energy. Small appliances often include LED indicators, clocks and other energy-consuming features while in standby mode.

Cinda Seamon is the fire and life safety educator for the Town of Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue.

Read more from:
Home & Garden
Tags: 
None
Share: 
     Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: