- Hilton Head Hospital will provide seasonal flu shots for the community starting Oct. 6.
The clinics will be held on the following dates and locations:
- Oct. 6, from 9 a.m. to noon, at Hilton Head Hospital, 25 Hospital Center Blvd., Hilton Head Island.
- Oct. 13, from 1 to 4 p.m., at the Bluffton Medical Campus, 75 Baylor Drive, Bluffton.
According to the CDC, influenza viruses are always changing, so annual vaccination is recommended. It will not prevent illness caused by other viruses.
It takes up to two weeks for protection to develop after the shot. Protection lasts about a year.
There is no cost for the seasonal flu shot for individuals with Medicare. Medicare recipients must bring a photo ID, such as a driver's license or state issued identification card, and their Medicare Card (Part B).
The immunization is $35 for persons who do not have Medicare, payable in cash or check only. No insurances will be accepted or filed.
Appointments are necessary and space is limited. To make an appointment for the immunization, call 844-455-0340.
- "The Caregiver's Wellness Plan" is the topic for the First Fridays for Caregivers meeting from 2 to 3 p.m. Oct. 6 at Memory Matters, 117 William Hilton Parkway on Hilton Head.
Ann Martel, MSW, LISW-CP will share practical ways caregivers can ensure their wellness by practicing self-care. Martel is a licensed independent social worker who specializes in caring for the caregiver. She provides consulting services and facilitates various caregiver support groups in the community.
Refreshments will be served.
RSVP is required by calling 843-842-6688.
- The 2017 Patrick's Ride will begin at 7 a.m. Oct. 21, departing from Memorial University Medical Center, 4700 Waters Ave. in Savannah.
Participants, ages 14 and older, will ride bicycles from Savannah to Augusta, Ga., in a single day (140-plus miles).
Registration is open to the public for a fee of $140, plus a fundraising minimum of $140.
The event raises funds to benefit children and families with cancer at the Dwaine & Cynthia Willett Children's Hospital of Savannah and the Curtis and Elizabeth Anderson Cancer Institute at Memorial University Medical Center.
For more information and to register, visit www.patricksride.com or contact Robyn Rotunda at 912-350-8992 or RotunRo1@memorialhealth.com.