Have you ever heard the expression "home is where the heart is"? Is it that place where you feel safe, sound, loved and most comfortable?
Well, if those feelings about your home are not as strong as they used to be, maybe it's time to remodel or renovate your living space.
Here are some ideas for remodeling and falling in love with your home again:
- Modernize your home: Make your home more beautiful, comfortable and functional by painting rooms, replacing floors and upgrading appliances.
- Renovate the kitchen: Design a gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances, better work areas and more cabinet space. In addition to being more functional, it will be a pleasure to work in and to look at.
- Remodel the bathrooms: Upgrade your baths to improve comfort and add home value. This can be accomplished by installing new sinks, tubs, showers, or by improving bathroom lighting.
- Increase the value of your home: Smart remodeling will protect your home's value for many years to come. Value-adding projects include new kitchen, new siding, flooring, bathrooms, and adding a porch to expand living space.
- Improve your home's curb appeal: Fresh paint, new siding, intact roof, clean gutters, neat landscaping and inviting driveway will create a great first impression for your home.
- Aging-in-place home design models: Stay in the home you love by increasing accessibility, regardless of age or disability, and making your home more comfortable for years to come.
When my wife and I started thinking about totally remodeling our kitchen, I might have had some second thoughts. After all, it was still working okay. But I have to tell you, after our new kitchen was completed, I love it just as much as my wife does.
If you must right-size and sell your home, buy your new home with all the upgrades and special features that you need and want. Or, if you have found the perfect home but it needs some work, do all your remodeling before you move in; projects go faster and you'll save a lot of hassle.
Larry Stoller is a real estate consultant and advertising executive who loves living in Bluffton and helping real estate agents and sellers get homes sold.