Retailers, restaurants and service businesses are changing the landscape in Bluffton and Hilton Head. Here's the latest in new construction, renovations, relocations, planned projects, commercial transactions, grand openings and closings.
- Osprey Cove, U.S. 278, Bluffton. The Beaufort County Planning Commission granted an appeal filed by The Crescent early last month to block a proposed affordable housing apartment complex on land near the gated golf course community and the Best Buy shopping center.
Two months ago, the county's Staff Review Team determined that the proposed four-building 45-unit complex did not violate a 2005 easement agreement between The Crescent and Best Buy land owner/developer Stafford Rhodes LLC.
Grand openings, ribbon cuttings, closings:
- Planet Fitness, 50 Burnt Church Road, Bluffton, Sept. 10. This national franchise with more than 1,600 locations nationwide held a ribbon-cutting as a follow-up to its Aug. 20 opening. The 24,050-square-foot facility offers state-of-the-art cardio machines, strength equipment and a host of other amenities 24/7. A variety of membership plans are available.
- Limitless Pediatric Solutions, 4 Oliver Ct., Suite 105, Bluffton, Sept. 20. Occupational therapist Janine Bicham opened this facility to provide an interactive and imaginative play space for typical and special needs children. Therapy services, infant massage, family support and advocacy, life-work and social skills, sensory processing strategies and tools for families are among the services offered.
- Firestone Complete Auto Care, 8 Mallet Way, Bluffton, Sept. 21. This national network, Bridgestone Retail Operations of more than 2,200 tire and automotive centers nationwide provides full-service automotive services and brand-name tires for sale.
"We are excited to expand our footprint in South Carolina and bring trusted tire and automotive service to Bluffton," said Joe Venezia, Bridgestone Retail Operations president. The company owns and operates 58 stores in South Carolina.
- Pure Salt Studio, 23 Plantation Drive, Suite 303, Bluffton, Sept. 21. A ribbon-cutting ceremony with the Greater Bluffton Chamber of Commerce marked the opening of this state-of-the-art facility offering a relaxing space for advanced salt aeration technology treating children and adults. Wellness treatments benefit those suffering with asthma, sinus infections, anxiety, cystic fibrosis, allergies and other maladies.
A halogenerator machine delivers dry micro-salt particles for inhalation for those with sinus and respiratory issues.
- Chick-fil-A, 9 Malphrus Road, Bluffton, Sept. 10. This popular eatery has reopened after a two-month renovation that redesigned the interior, installed new equipment in the playground, and reconfigured the parking lot that now features a second drive-thru lane.
- Avocado Bleu, 21 Bluffton Road, Suite 102, Bluffton, opened Aug. 1, with a ribbon-cutting slated for Oct. 5 with the Greater Bluffton Chamber. This new restaurant features grab-and-go breakfast and lunch items. Keto, paleo and vegan offerings share the fresh-ingredient menu that changes daily based on local product availability. Smoothies, baked goods, salads, soups, sandwiches and hot dishes are available Monday through Saturday.
Have Bluffton or Hilton Head business news (new construction relocations, expansions, openings, ownership changes, etc.) to share? Send information to Dean Rowland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lowcountry resident Dean Rowland is a veteran senior editor and freelance writer.