AARP Tax Aide services will be a bit different this year in order to promote COVID-19 safety protocols. Appointments will be required and no walk-ins will be accepted in an effort to minimize contact. Everyone must make an appointment for service.
Locations for assistance are:
• Sun City Hilton Head, Pinckney Hall, 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays.
Go to the last doors at the end of the entrance hall (Colleton Room). No Taxpayers will be admitted into the rooms. Intake will be done in the doorway
• Bluffton Library, 120 Palmetto Way, opens Feb. 19, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Intake will be done on the front porch of the library.
• Hilton Head Library, 11 Beach City Road, opens Feb. 23, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Intake will be done in the main conference room
Call 843-603-1632 for an intake appointment.
When you make your appointment, you will be told where to pick up an AARP tax envelope and intake forms. You must fill in all forms completely, remove all tax items from envelopes, remove all staples. Bring your ID and SS card.
If married filing jointly, both spouses must attend the intake appointment.
Your intake interview will take about 20 minutes. We will scan your documents to a secure site and then you can leave. After your return is completed by a volunteer, you will receive a call from the Quality Reviewer within 24 to 48 hours and given a time to pick up your return.
During this second appointment, your final return will be printed and you will sign the form telling us that we can electronically file it. You will then take your printed return and documents home with you. Until all of this is complete, your taxes will not be filed.
Face coverings are required at all times. Please bring your own sanitizer and be respectful to maintain a social distance of at least six feet from our volunteers. If you are feeling ill in any way on the day of your appointment, call to reschedule.
With this new model, we won’t be able to do as many returns, so we are limiting service to simple returns. If you have more than one brokerage statement, a business or you need to itemize, we ask that you prepare your taxes elsewhere.
AARP will not be doing returns with self employment or a form 1099 NEC; itemized deductions, home office deductions, or K-1 forms; more than one 1099B (brokerage statement from a financial firm) per taxpayer.
Bring the following to your appointment:
• completed intake form (with all your information filled in)
• completed form 14446 (Taxpayer virtual consent form)
• Official identification for each taxpayer on the return
• Social Security card for each person on the return (not needed if you have annual form SSA 1099 showing your SSN)
• Last year’s tax return
• Remove all tax documents for 2020 from envelopes, remove all staples
• A voided check if you want direct deposit of a refund
• Bring your own pen, hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes
Every year, the AARP Tax Aide Foundation program provides exemplary service to local residents through tax preparation and e-filing. This free service saves residents a minimum of $200 per return.
For more information, call district coordinator Anna Maria Tabernik at 843-441-6246, or Sun City coordinator Brenda Brown at 843-473-7839.