The Blood Alliance will hold several blood drives in Bluffton through the end of July.
Donors must bring a government-issued photo ID in order to donate blood.
The local drives are:
July 23, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Town of Bluffton offices, 20 Bridge St.
July 28, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Bluffton Medical Campus, 75 Baylor Dr., in Bluffton Commons
July 29, 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., Bluffton Rotary, Oscar Frazier Park Community Center, 77 Shults St.
July 29, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Stokes Brown Toyota, 100 Fording Island Rd.
The Donor Center, at 1001 Boundary St. in Beaufort, is also open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., and Wednesdays from noon to 6:30 p.m.
For more information or appointments, call 843-522-0409 or visit www.igiveblood.com.
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., the Coastal Empire Community Mental Health Center and the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Beaufort County will celebrate Bebe Moore Campbell National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month with an information workshop and reception from 10 to 11:30 a.m. July 18 at the Coastal Empire Mental Health Center Community Room, 1050 Ribaut Rd., Beaufort.
For more information on National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month, NAMI community-specific mental health facts, visit www.nami.org/ minoritymentalhealthmonth.
- Hilton Head Hospital will offer a free seminar specifically for people with prediabetes or those at high risk of developing diabetes from 10 to 11:30 a.m. July 22 in the conference room at the Bluffton Medical Campus, 75 Baylor Dr. in Bluffton.
The class is designed to help those understand what prediabetes is and will teach nutrition and lifestyle strategies to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. It is estimated that there are 79 million people in the United States with prediabetes.
For more information or to register for this class, call 1-877-582-2737.
- Bluffton Jasper County Volunteers In Medicine (BJVIM) will host an informational event at 5 p.m. July 23 for local adults who are interested in joining our team of medical and non-medical volunteers serving uninsured adults from Bluffton and Jasper County.
BJVIM is located at 1 Burnt Church Rd. For more information contact Mary Blake at email@example.com.
- Gary Marino, award-winning filmmaker of the “Million Calorie March,” author, activist and media-personality, will be speaking at 4:30 p.m. July 29 as part of Hilton Head Health’s July InSPArational Series.
Marino is a spokesperson about Obesity in America and has led four national health and wellness campaigns, the Million Calorie March, the 6 Million Pound Meltdown, a Million Step March and an Inspiring Wellness Campaign. His topic will be “Relapse and Resilience” – what to do when the path to weight loss is not so clear.
Additionally, a showing of his film “Million Calorie March” will be held at 2:30 p.m. July 30 at Coligny Theatre.
For more information call 800-292-2400 or visit www.hhhealth.com.
- Volunteers are needed for the Born To Read program at Hilton Head Island Hospital and Coastal Carolina Hospital.
This program delivers resource bags to all new mothers at both hospitals.
For more information contact Terrilyn Sassmann at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-379-3350, or visit www.bornto read.org.