Retailers, restaurants and service businesses are changing the commercial landscape in Bluffton and Hilton Head. Here’s the latest in new construction, renovations, relocations, closings and grand openings.
- Carolina Heritage Insurance. This company opened its second local location late last month with a grand-opening ribbon cutting in Okatie Village. This independent insurance company services home, auto, flood and business needs.
- The Roasting Room Lounge. Located above the Corner Perk on May River Road in the Bluffton Promenade, this intimate listening room with live music celebrated its opening with a ribbon cutting late last month.
Owners Josh and Kali Cooke plan to bring in musical entertainment in varied genres, focusing on original music.
- ACE Hardware. A grand re-opening and ribbon cutting for this national franchise was held April 29 at its location in Northridge Plaza on the island. New ownership and a remodeled interior were introduced.
- Holiday Inn Express. A grand-opening ribbing-cutting ceremony will be held at 5 p.m. May 18 at this renovated hotel on Tanglewood Drive, the first Express on Hilton Head Island. The chain underwent a multimillion dollar overhaul of the former Quality Inn property.
- Street Meet. A grand-reopening and expansion ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at 5 p.m. May 26 at this American tavern in Port Royal Plaza.
A popular spot for late-night diners, Street Meet serves “sidewalk sandwiches from America’s favorite street corners.”
- Weidner, Wegmann & Harper, LLC. A ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrating its new Bluffton location at 110 Traders Cross in the Regus Office Building was held recently. The full-service law firm formed in 2009 in Beaufort when their respective law offices merged.
- Dental Smart Bluffton. This Charleston-based dental group recently celebrated its grand opening at Belfair Towne Village in Bluffton, its first location in the Lowcountry and seventh overall in the state.
- Jessica B Consignment. This clothing and furniture consignment store celebrated its first year in business May 5 with a grand re-opening and ribbon cutting at the Riverwalk Industrial Park in Okatie.
- Burger King. This worldwide franchise with 11,000 locations around the globe and three in our area is planning to open another one on SC 170 in Okatie later this year.
- Rancho Alegre. This long-time Savannah-based Cuban restaurant is coming to Bluffton Parkway later this spring. Cuban, Caribbean and Spanish cuisine will be offered at the eatery near Enmark, in the location of the former Crescent City Cafe.
- Alvin Ord’s Sandwich Shop. This popular eatery that opened in Port Royal in 1983 will be opening a second location later this spring, at the original Sippin’ Cow location on May River Road in Bluffton. The shop is well known for its fresh-baked sandwich breads.
Do you have Bluffton or Hilton Head business news (new construction, relocations, expansions, openings, ownership changes, etc.) to share? Send information to Dean Rowland at www.leaftoo@ live.com.
Dean Rowland is a veteran senior editor and freelance writer who formerly lived in Bluffton.